Friday, March 21, 2008

Advil Camp and Road 2008


Asheville, NC - Soon I can point to the full blow-by-blow on the Fuji athlete blog, but for now a few highlights: tunnels on the Blue Ridge, no internet, 5hr ride starting in 20-something temperatures, super-sweet team bike, Quinoa Flakes, pretending it was warm for photo shoots, dogs bearing teeth, Tifosi and other treats, and my awesome teammates - Laura Bowles, Heather Labance, Elisa Gagnon, Sarah Tillotson, Jen McCrae, Natalie Klemko, Kirsten Robbins, Brenda Lyons, Reem Jishi, and Sue Palmer-Komar. We are an underdog team whose racers are balancing racing with working, going to school, and raising kids. We are somewhat lacking in the young and sassy department, so I might have to be the one to say "Whatever I'm bad I do what I wanna," in the words of one favorite cross teammate. We aim to pick our battles and win some big races. We have the potential - now to embark on the intriguing, exciting, and difficult quest to create a whole bigger than the sum of its parts. My earlier concern about finding freshness for a road season that will include many familiar races seems far away - there is so much to do and learn and accomplish this season. First among these would be Redlands, which starts April 3rd! Very specific training will hopefully prepare me to race with just one or two days of racing in the legs - unfortunately there is nothing to be done for the tell-tale winter pallor of a New Englander. Camera batteries died just three photos in; photo copyright Jeff Zimmerman so I am trying to pilfer from some teammates' blogs. Spectacular riding - I plan to return to Asheville sometime when it is WARM!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy Dombroski said...

Dude, you ARE bad. superbad. I'll see you in a few days in the sun country of CA. Hope you're kickin' it the way you wanna...