Sunday, August 12, 2012

And More

On my walk to work.
I've shown you Oaxaca as architectural paradise, cradle of early civilization, pinnacle of artisan culture, incubator of nouveau Mexican cuisine, explosion of light and color. At risk of appearing a TED groupie, there's danger to a single story, in the words of novelist Chimamanda Adichie, her talk hyped to fatigue among my colleagues. The city is stunningly beautiful, and more. (Click title to see more.)

East to West 1
East to West 2
East to West 3
East to West 4
East to West 5
The power of abstraction
By the markets south of the Zocalo
Food-vending trikes ubiquitous; Oaxaca, Chiapas, and Guerrero the poorest states in Mexico.
Automatic rifles on police always take some getting used to.
Street food often smells delicious: $18 pesos = $1.40 USD
Both/and: urban decay and intriguing abstracted imagery.
Vibrant public squares, if not parks for hikes and bikes.
I love orange.
So many bugs, I can't stress it enough!

No comments: